Game roundup September (and Corpse Bride!)
Wow, lots of good games came out this month. Also wow, I have been sorely lacking in my posting.
Before I get into the games, I would like to give props to my manager @ work (won’t mention his name here to respect his privacy). He and his wife have been actively helping Katrina victims. They have allowed access to the vacant apartment in their house for a displaced family. They have been helping students who have been moved up from LA to IL by colleges; showing them the ropes and making sure they have food / shelter / cloths. Others have been helping a ton as well. Jeong has been a treasure trove of information; pointing people to public information and government programs. Her unique vantage point as a non-profit employee makes her a gem in this instance. I gave this Good Samaritan a bunch of my old cloths to (A) give to one of his new house guests and then (B) shuttle to the Goodwill. I consider my contribution minimal; the cloths don’t fit me and at least SOMEONE can use them.
BTW all I am a size 36 waist now. SWEET JESUS! I had to go buy new pants today because the pants I bought in March (as pointed out by Rachel on Friday) are now tents.
Ok games (in no real order).
Like a fool I bought Ninja Gaiden Black. It’s still just as hard but somehow it endears itself to me. I won’t solve it most likely which makes me double the fool as that means I won’t see the unique “Black” content. Basically I bought a game I already own. D’OH.
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects is dog shit as Penny-Arcade states. I really can’t put it any more simply than that. Controls and mechanics / timing need SERIOUS retuning. Seriously.
I have surprised myself by not picking up We love Katamari. I suppose I will because Katamari Darmacy was such a wonderful game, I just haven’t yet. Lori if you are reading this, go buy We Love Katamari.
Urban Reign is AWESOME in my opinion. I can’t recommend it to anyone but hardcore arcade / twitch gamers and such (Timmeh, this is NOT the game for you) but I find myself making the “speaking-through-gritted-teeth” voice as I take fools down. YEAH!
Evil-Dead Regeneration is fully worth its budget $19.99 price, and DOUBALLY SO if you are a Evil-Dead freak. Fun game (but LOUSY with bugs! Yeesh!)
Burnout Revenge is, alas, not as good as Burnout 3 was. But it is fun. I’m not as upset with the X-TREME theme as Weezie is but they did take crash-mode a HUGE step back IMHO. No powerups? A stupid golf-swing interface to start? Pah.
Battalion Wars is fun. It’s not like Advance Wars though; it is a real-time action game. I like the RTS-light elements they put in though, and I have yet to not have fun while playing this.
There are a bunch of other games I haven’t mentioned. Indigo Prophecy (despite being published by Infogrames) is a lot of fun. Ultimate Spiderman is getting good reviews but I haven’t picked it up yet. Genji is a game I long to play but haven’t picked up as of yet. I’m sure the new Kingdom Under Fire game is fun as well. X-Men Legends 2 should be fun but I suspect I will wait to get the PSP version, ESPECIALLY if it has Infrastructure play (holding breath).
Anyway, big post due to lack of previous posts. I’ll leave you with my impression of Corpse Bride: good but nowhere NEAR the caliber of Nightmare Before Christmas. Wait to rent it in my opinion.
Before I get into the games, I would like to give props to my manager @ work (won’t mention his name here to respect his privacy). He and his wife have been actively helping Katrina victims. They have allowed access to the vacant apartment in their house for a displaced family. They have been helping students who have been moved up from LA to IL by colleges; showing them the ropes and making sure they have food / shelter / cloths. Others have been helping a ton as well. Jeong has been a treasure trove of information; pointing people to public information and government programs. Her unique vantage point as a non-profit employee makes her a gem in this instance. I gave this Good Samaritan a bunch of my old cloths to (A) give to one of his new house guests and then (B) shuttle to the Goodwill. I consider my contribution minimal; the cloths don’t fit me and at least SOMEONE can use them.
BTW all I am a size 36 waist now. SWEET JESUS! I had to go buy new pants today because the pants I bought in March (as pointed out by Rachel on Friday) are now tents.
Ok games (in no real order).
Like a fool I bought Ninja Gaiden Black. It’s still just as hard but somehow it endears itself to me. I won’t solve it most likely which makes me double the fool as that means I won’t see the unique “Black” content. Basically I bought a game I already own. D’OH.
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects is dog shit as Penny-Arcade states. I really can’t put it any more simply than that. Controls and mechanics / timing need SERIOUS retuning. Seriously.
I have surprised myself by not picking up We love Katamari. I suppose I will because Katamari Darmacy was such a wonderful game, I just haven’t yet. Lori if you are reading this, go buy We Love Katamari.
Urban Reign is AWESOME in my opinion. I can’t recommend it to anyone but hardcore arcade / twitch gamers and such (Timmeh, this is NOT the game for you) but I find myself making the “speaking-through-gritted-teeth” voice as I take fools down. YEAH!
Evil-Dead Regeneration is fully worth its budget $19.99 price, and DOUBALLY SO if you are a Evil-Dead freak. Fun game (but LOUSY with bugs! Yeesh!)
Burnout Revenge is, alas, not as good as Burnout 3 was. But it is fun. I’m not as upset with the X-TREME theme as Weezie is but they did take crash-mode a HUGE step back IMHO. No powerups? A stupid golf-swing interface to start? Pah.
Battalion Wars is fun. It’s not like Advance Wars though; it is a real-time action game. I like the RTS-light elements they put in though, and I have yet to not have fun while playing this.
There are a bunch of other games I haven’t mentioned. Indigo Prophecy (despite being published by Infogrames) is a lot of fun. Ultimate Spiderman is getting good reviews but I haven’t picked it up yet. Genji is a game I long to play but haven’t picked up as of yet. I’m sure the new Kingdom Under Fire game is fun as well. X-Men Legends 2 should be fun but I suspect I will wait to get the PSP version, ESPECIALLY if it has Infrastructure play (holding breath).
Anyway, big post due to lack of previous posts. I’ll leave you with my impression of Corpse Bride: good but nowhere NEAR the caliber of Nightmare Before Christmas. Wait to rent it in my opinion.

1 Comments:
BEN FORD???? Why yes this is Lori's Brother! Lyon ave. and all that!
Post a Comment
<< Home