Gigantour fun
So Alan and Chris and I went to Gigantour yesterday. It was a blast. We arrived in Tinley Park @ about 1:30 and the parking lot didn’t open until 2:30, so we went to this local bar called... Domicio’s or something like that. It was this awesome dive that looked like a basement and was completely out of place for the sprawling and depressing nothing that is the suburb of Tinley Park. Anyway, a fellow drinker in there informed us that the Tweeter Center (the venue) charges EIGHT BUCKS per beer. We vow not to buy their overpriced beer.
After a few brews we drive to the Tweeter Center and enter the parking lot. We get waved into this spot and suddenly realize we are in the STAFF lot. We ask the guy who waved us in and he informs us yes, this is a staff lot but he isn’t going to kick us out. Nice guy. We also find out that tailgate parties are ILLEGAL in this burg. HA! So we keep our doors closed and have a heavy metal beer-fest behind Alan’s tinted windows.
Entry gates open at 3:30 but the 1st act (Bobaflex) isn’t on until 4:30. We wander in and I purchase an overpriced Dry Kill Logic T-shirt (35 bucks, yeesh) to commemorate the experience. We watch Bobaflex and realize we have completely ruined our promise to not buy the expensive beer. Two mortgages later we have three more beers, but we are running out of houses to put up for collateral.
Wow I’m talking about beer a lot. I don’t drink all that often (esp. to excess) but sometimes you just gotta go for it, and a rock concert seems the proper place to do so.
The evening went on like that. We listened to as many bands as we could (two stages) and here is the breakdown:
Megadeath rocked. They closed the night on the main stage and were great. Their only problem is the mic check for the lead singer apparently didn’t work because you couldn’t even HEAR him sometimes, let alone make out what he was saying. I guess that’s 2ndary to the experience anyway.
Dream Theater = Nap time. If we were not so busy flinging vitriol at their poor performance we would have fallen asleep.
Fear Factory and Bobaflex were pretty good. I don’t really remember anything outstanding.
Dry Kill Logic stole the show for me. They only had a 20 minute set on the second stage (A CRIME) but they were by far the best band up. I got a signed CD (scammed the CD for free from a hapless Tweeter employee) and the before-mentioned shirt. Good times.
The show ended at roughly midnight. We got out of the Tweeter Center and eventually made it to the expressways. Now we had to drop Chris off at home and he lives in Schaumburg. We are in Tinley Park. This is an hour trip through the wastelands that surround Chicago. WASTELANDS. But we made it somehow, and then we made our way home to the city. At about 2:00am I stumble into my apt and plop on my bed. It was a fine trip. To top it off, I didn’t have a hang over this morning. It was great!
After a few brews we drive to the Tweeter Center and enter the parking lot. We get waved into this spot and suddenly realize we are in the STAFF lot. We ask the guy who waved us in and he informs us yes, this is a staff lot but he isn’t going to kick us out. Nice guy. We also find out that tailgate parties are ILLEGAL in this burg. HA! So we keep our doors closed and have a heavy metal beer-fest behind Alan’s tinted windows.
Entry gates open at 3:30 but the 1st act (Bobaflex) isn’t on until 4:30. We wander in and I purchase an overpriced Dry Kill Logic T-shirt (35 bucks, yeesh) to commemorate the experience. We watch Bobaflex and realize we have completely ruined our promise to not buy the expensive beer. Two mortgages later we have three more beers, but we are running out of houses to put up for collateral.
Wow I’m talking about beer a lot. I don’t drink all that often (esp. to excess) but sometimes you just gotta go for it, and a rock concert seems the proper place to do so.
The evening went on like that. We listened to as many bands as we could (two stages) and here is the breakdown:
Megadeath rocked. They closed the night on the main stage and were great. Their only problem is the mic check for the lead singer apparently didn’t work because you couldn’t even HEAR him sometimes, let alone make out what he was saying. I guess that’s 2ndary to the experience anyway.
Dream Theater = Nap time. If we were not so busy flinging vitriol at their poor performance we would have fallen asleep.
Fear Factory and Bobaflex were pretty good. I don’t really remember anything outstanding.
Dry Kill Logic stole the show for me. They only had a 20 minute set on the second stage (A CRIME) but they were by far the best band up. I got a signed CD (scammed the CD for free from a hapless Tweeter employee) and the before-mentioned shirt. Good times.
The show ended at roughly midnight. We got out of the Tweeter Center and eventually made it to the expressways. Now we had to drop Chris off at home and he lives in Schaumburg. We are in Tinley Park. This is an hour trip through the wastelands that surround Chicago. WASTELANDS. But we made it somehow, and then we made our way home to the city. At about 2:00am I stumble into my apt and plop on my bed. It was a fine trip. To top it off, I didn’t have a hang over this morning. It was great!

1 Comments:
ROCK OUT!!!
I have a secret fondness for Megadeth after seeing them, Slayer, Anthrax, and Pantera at a Monsters Of Rock show with a very fetching Russian studies student. Unfortunately, my Peace Sells, But Who's Buying t-shirt no longer fits.
Post a Comment
<< Home