Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A Wednesday to remember

Some cool stuff today. I must preface this with the fact that I am currently listening to "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister. I actually find myself becoming more and more into '80s music as time goes by (much to the chagrin of my office mates). Does that mean I am getting old? Perhaps. But I'm OK with that.

For most of yesterday and today we were in an asset freeze while we set up a press / cert build. This caused bugs to pile up and stay there as nobody could check anything in. It was stressful to have all these issues on my plate that I COULD resolve easily but I COULDN'T check in due to the freeze. Perhaps it speaks about me that I couldn't let it go, but it was vexing me.

Wow "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls now. Woot.

When we could check stuff in it was like a dam broke. Tons of bugs were getting resolved and SourceSafe (version control for those who don't know) went from "zzzzZZZZzzzz" to "WHAT THE FUCK?????" very quickly as it was hammered with check-in requests.

"Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams. HUZAH!!!!!

We played some multiplayer with the testers after the "great checkin". Not only were the actual game sessions fun, there was plenty of "post game talk" that I haven't had good times with since Quake 2. The post game story is in some ways better than the game itself, and speaks volumes about the depth and variety of our MP experience. I don't mind saying many risks were taken (BattleArmor, 'MechJacking, an AIRCRAFT for pete's sake) that may not have been if I was in charge, and I am glad we took every single one of them. This is without a doubt the best game and most talented team I have ever been involved with. Through the day when I was waiting to check stuff in I played a bunch of single player too. I kept finding little ways to play the other designer's missions that I thought were sneaky or clever, and it just worked. I won't say we have "Grand Theft 'Mech" because we don't (we didn't try to) but there is a lot of variety and tactical decision making in our game. Our team kicks ass if I do say so myself.

"Drive" by The Cars. Ugh. LOL I skipped it and ended up with "I wanna know what love is" by Foreigner. I'm listening on internet radio and can't see the next track. Funny.

My good friend Brian Wanamaker is in the Bay Area taking care of his sister. He lives in the Osaka area of Japan and I have to say him being in the USA and not being able to hang out sucks. 99.9999% of the time I love Chicago, but when I want to hang with my Sister or my very good friends (Rachel, Josh, Brian, Tim, Lee, Weezie, etc.) I do get homesick. Sometimes I feel like Brian and I are not as close as we once were. Perhaps that's a natural occurrence of living 987539487 miles apart AND in completely foreign cultures, but it is a regret none the less.

"Africa" by Toto.

Stephen, Lori (my sister) and I had a blast when they came over. We did so much and hung out so much that I feel like I packed in a month of brother-sister fun in just 5 days. I get to see everyone again when I go home for Christmas, too!!!! Lori keeps trying to get me to commit to going to Disney World for my Birthday this February. I don't know what 2/05 hold at the current time so I haven't committed. HOLD YOUR HORSES LORI!!!! ^_^

Wow long post. Well that's about all that is loose in my head right now. I want to wish Stacy Wanamaker a speedy and painless recovery from her illness. I want to congratulate Tim and his wife on their new house ('BOUT TIME!). I want to tell Rachel that don't worry about Chicago and living situations, what is supposed to happen will.

PEACE!

1 Comments:

Blogger bwana said...

Hey, pally. I miss you ALL the TIME. It's too bad we're on nearly opposite sides of the planet, but that's just a present-tense situation, you know?

I saw a lot of people while I was in the area, but even with the length of time involved, I still missed many people that I'd hoped to see. Mostly the trip was about taking care of my sis.

Anyway, someday I'll be a Norteamericano again, and it'll be easier to grab a Tobal moment again. :-)

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home