Friday, September 15, 2006

eBay account violated :(

My eBay account was hacked today. I checked my mail and saw like 40 listings for sunglasses. I started reporting these e-mails to eBay safe harbor and then got suspicious. I logged into my eBay account (no, no I didn’t use the links in the spoof mails; I ain’t that dumb) and saw that indeed I DID have all those sunglasses listed.

DAMMIT. See how angry my avatar is over there on the right? And that rat? SEE?!!??

So the 1st thing I did is change the PW for my eBay account. I then went and canceled my PayPal account. I checked my bank account and credit card accounts and they hadn’t been touched but I changed their PW as well. I also changed the PW on my yahoo e-mail.

So then I contacted eBay live support. Turns out the last address they have on file for me is my old San Mateo address (in Hillsdale Gardens! I haven’t lived there for almost 5 years). After confirming I was indeed I the eBay employee (who was very helpful) determined that yes, a third party got hold of my account. He (she?) canceled the 40 pairs of sunglasses and instructed me to change my PW on all vital systems and confirm there has been no alteration of important data (which I had already done).

So this is scary. I am really careful to not enter my PW into false eBay web-sites or mailings and yet they still got my stuff. I guess nobody is really safe AND I think I got lucky. Since I had failed to update my account info on my eBay profile (it had an old credit card # which is now dead and an old addy) I dodged a bullet; the info they got was zero % helpful.

I’m going to go recheck all my info on my bank and such again. This sucks; it’s like having your house broken into electronically.

1 Comments:

Blogger bwana said...

Crap! How did they get in, if you weren't phished?

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home