Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The top game is.... (drum roll)

I had an interesting itch I decided to scratch today. Thought I would share:

I did a search on Game-Rankings to see if I could find the best of the best. The first thing I did was search the database for the top 10 games (by professional review) that had at least 5 unique reviewers. I don’t know how far back in time the game-rankings database goes but the top ten results were:

10 - Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox (95.7% average)
09 - Goldeneye 007 N64 (95.8% average)
08 - Super Mario 64 N64 (95.8% average)
07 - Metal Gear Solid GC (95.9% average)
06 - Resident Evil 4 GC (96.0% average)
05 - Tekken 3 PS1 (96.3% average)
04 - Metroid Prime GC (96.3% average)
03 - Soul Calibur DC (96.4% average)
02 - Super Mario World SNES (96.7% average)
01 - Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 (97.8% average)

So that’s all well and good I suppose. Then I tried filtering the same criteria for the top 10 according to READER review:

10 - Final Fantasy 7 PS1 (9.0 out of 10 average)
09 - Super Metroid SNES (9.0 out of 10 average)
08 - Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES (9.1 out of 10 average)
07 - Chrono Trigger SNES (9.1 out of 10 average)
06 - Metal Gear Solid PS1 (9.1 out of 10 average)
05 - Super Mario World SNES (9.2 out of 10 average)
04 - Goldeneye 007 N64 (9.2 out of 10 average)
03 - Super Mario 64 N64 (9.2 out of 10 average)
02 - Resident Evil 4 GC (9.3 out of 10 average)
01 - Elder Scrolls: Oblivion XB360 (9.3 out of 10 average)

The first thing this told me is that the majority of people who vote online are RPG players. :) Even with that caveat stated the difference in listing is worthy of note. Also worthy of note is that out of BOTH lists above, VERY FEW of the top-selling console games of all time are on the list. Now we all know Wikipidia is not exactly the best source but it states here (and I’ll even weed out the NES games that apparently game-rankings doesn’t include):

10 - Final Fantasy 7 PS1 (9.8 million)
09 - Mario Kart 64 N64 (9.87 million)
08 - Super Mario All-Stars SNES (10.55 million)
07 - Gran Turismo PS1 (10.84 million)
06 - GTA3 PS2 (11.39 million)
05 - Super Mario 64 N64 (11.89 million)
04 - GTA San Andreas PS2 (13.47 million)
03 - GTA Vice City PS2 (13.58 million)
02 - Gran Turismo 3 PS1 (14.36 million)
01 - Super Mario World SNES (20.61 million)

If I cross reference all 3 lists the top console games of all time (the games that receive the most critical acclaim, public acclaim, and big-time sales) are:

02 - Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64
01 - Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo

Those are the only two games that occupy all 3 lists.

Hell, that means that we cannot determine a successful game based on these lists. OR that means we all should just shut up and bow to Mario. Obviously these lists don’t take into account the installed base of the platform the game runs on, the marketing spend, etc. etc. etc.

Just some interesting info for you all.

1 Comments:

Blogger bwana said...

Bow to Mario, obviously.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home