Saturday, May 28, 2005

"Everyone wants to be Jeff Gregg"

Thursday of this week our work had a class of 8th-grader students (or around that age group anyhow) come in to show how a game development studio works. The emphasis was on how school helps you do cool stuff. Our presentation took kind of a "micro to macro" approach; detailing how we made individual assets and following the production pipeline to how said assets get into the game. I got the rare treat to be Day 1's representative for the Design branch of the business and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair. The kids were very much into what we showed and had very good questions. Mary (one of our lead animators) was very funny in that BEFORE the presentation she was very nervous and constantly claimed to freeze up when giving talks. DURING her portion she was alive and enthralling with a kick-ass presentation that was suited to the age group, genuinely interesting, and had pretty much everyone interested and entertained.

By far my favorite part of the group was today when Denny (the head of Day 1) came to me and said everyone enjoyed the talk, and most wanted to be Jeff Gregg. Sometimes I forget just how much kick-assitude I ooze! :)

Oh, and I have a very humble demeanor.

On the entertainment front, I popped Mercenaries back into my Xbox and was immediately drawn back into said game. Very cool stuff. I also just finished watching King of New York on DVD from Netflix. Good movie, but somehow it felt a bit loose and lacking direction. I recommend it anyhow, and I am surprised I hadn't seen it until now. In the cinema world I saw Episode 3 and really I have to say "meh". It was the best prequel but that isn't saying much. Now that all 6 Star Wars movies are our I rate them as follows (from best to worst):

5, 4, 3, 6, 2, 1. That's Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, Clone Wars, and then Phantom Menace. To put that into perspective I will interject some other movies, still best to worst:

Godfather, Aliens, 5, 4, Matrix: Reloaded, 3, The Mummy, 2, Howard the Duck, 1

By the way, I find it ironic that two of the presenters to the kids at our company (myself included) never graduated college and we were touting the importance of an education.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rembold said...

Hey, I stumbled acrossed your blog this morning while surfing the web as I usually do at this terrible hour before I go to class. I think that your blog is one of the most well put together I have read to date and the fact that you are Jeff Gregg of Day 1 Studios is awesome. I have always thought about getting into the gaming biz' but was never really told how to get my foot in the door. Continue the fine work that you guys do and make us gamers happy. If there is some way I can correspond with you that would be great though I am sure someone else has made this attempt.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Chuji said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind words! I just created an e-mail called "bayareaexile@yahoo.com" should anyone want to reach me. I'll try to check it every once and a while! :)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home