Sunday, March 20, 2005

Ahh the weekend

So today I canceled my USA PSP order. I came to my senses and realized that since the damn thing is region free for games, why the heck do I need to spend the money twice? I used the cash to order some other PSP games (most was saved, however). The PSP does come out this week though and I recommend that you bag one if you don't already have one or a preorder. I hear that one of the preordered ones at Gamestop just freed up... :)

Tim gave me a registry key for the Guild Wars beta this weekend. We played for about four hours last night. It was fun, but not epic. It was kind of an odd Diablo / Dungeon Siege hybrid with interesting choices involving party instances and such. For instance, the whole "outside the town" world is an instance where you will never run into another player character except for those in your party. Kind of a heavy-handed approach to PvP if you ask me. Also, some of the plot points are.... RUSHED and confusing. But the game is pretty enough and Tim and I had a decent time. The beta ends tonight @ midnight Pacific time and I really don't have a burning desire to play it to the last minute.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RACHEL LAST WEDNESDAY!

I solved both StarWars: Republic Commando and Project: Snowblind this weekend. I think Republic Commando was trying to prove that a WORSE ending than the end of Halo 2 could be made. They may have succeeded. Snowblind was fun through and through. That being said I still have to give my "1st person shooter of the month" award for March to Brothers in Arms. Great game.

Last week's 2 days at work were great (the rest of the time I was on vacation in Sacramento). We've been cramming on new ideas and a kind of raw synergy and inertia was clearly present. I look forward to continuing that energy tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sasquatchua said...

I seriously can't believe you were going to buy 2 PSP's... just to watch US movies? When is that gonna happen? Once again tho, lemme say how awesomely progressive it was of Sony to not region encode the games.

2:30 PM  
Blogger bwana said...

Once again tho, lemme say how awesomely progressive it was of Sony to not region encode the games.

Actually, it's merely competitive of Sony not to region-code games. Their only competition, Nintendo, has never region-coded their handheld games (and until the Gamecube, it was pretty simple to circumvent their hardware bump "region code" on their home consoles).

I think it's asinine that they're launching some media that's region coded (movies) and some that is not (games) based on the single assumption that people will be traveling with the unit. Good christ, as if the proprietary UMD format isn't closed enough?
/rant

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to put words in Chuji's mouth but I believe he preordered during the flurry of debate about whether the games are region encoded. (Note that the packaging for your games SAYS it's region 1.)

As for the encoding on the movies everyone is overlooking that they wouldn't had any content (well any non-Columbia/Tristar content) if they didn't emulate the DVD region coding. I can't say I'm thrilled by the encoding - but I understand the logic. The UMD format doesn't do the same thing as region coding - and without the region coding no major studio would support UMD.

8:55 AM  
Blogger bwana said...

I can understand the corporate POV, given the current mindset, but it is consumer-hostile.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home