Killzone Multiplayer
Hey! Some KillZone MP findings for you.
First of all the MP game is much better than the 1P. I can't tell if the character speeds are tweaked or if the FPS is just better, but the game runs much better in MP (is MUCH faster). They also did some smart things like not making you reload automatically if you don't want to. That might sound odd at 1st, but when you consider that many weapons (like the assault rifle) have two fire modes that use two different ammo types, not having to reload the grenade launcher and just going right to the machinegun after firing a round is bliss. Why the heck didn't they put that into the 1P game???
The weapons kind of seem generic but they are pretty cool. I like the alternate fire modes, and really the only weapon that pisses me off is the Sniper Rifle. Their "floating" targeting ala Goldeneye SUCKS for a game of this speed. I had zero luck sniping in MP mode. They tried to balance this out by making a sniper hit to any body part kill instantly, but that just made for dumb gameplay where I had to make sure my toe was behind cover if a sniper was out there.
One last general comment is the strangely missing character classes. I mean COME ON!!! The single player game has cool stuff like the Ninja woman (kind of a female Sam Fisher), the Helgast (the mutant human species in the game), the commander, and the heavy grunt. This is all lined up for classic class-based MP gameplay. The heavy is slow but can use the chaingun, etc. etc. you all know the drill. BUT the game is just a bunch of drones that can use any weapon and all move at the same speed. What a waste. What a MYSTERY why they didn't do the right thing when their whole 1P game is based on class strengths and weaknesses??? Whatever.
I didn't play deathmatch, but I did play Team Deathmatch, a game type called "supply drop", and a gametype called "attack and defend" where one team is defending an objective while the other attacks and tries to destroy it.
Team Deathmatch:
Seems kinda tacked on. The spawns were all over the map so I was never near my teamies. It felt like Deathmatch where I shouldn't shoot 1/2 the players, NOT like a team game. I played this the least.
Supply Drop:
This could be a fun MP gametype except for a CRITICAL flaw. The map has 5 supply crates scattered around. The team that gets all 5 to their base 1st OR has the most when time runs out wins. Now for the flaw: when you get a supply crate to your base your base starts to spawn a new and powerful weapon for your teamies. This sounds cool but unbalances the game in a hurry. I jumped into a game where my team had 1 of the 5 crates and the other team had the other 4. I was ready to rally the troops and make a big comeback when I found how this flaw had gimped us to hell and back. We got the grenade launcher from our crate (which was cool), but the enemy had the heavy machinegun, the rocket launcher, the sniper rifle, and the shotgun. We really had no chance against that firepower. Keep in mind we COULDN'T get those 4 weapons unless we killed a player using them or got a crate back to our base. I'm currently processing in my wee designer brain how to make this cool-sounding feature work in a game without completely fucking the team on the losing side (as it does right now).
Attack and Defend:
I had the most fun with this one. Its pretty much exactly like the game mode in Wolfenstein where you storm the beach. You try to destroy the enemy base as quickly as possible. Once you do so (or time runs out) the teams switch (attackers become defenders and vice versa) and the process starts over. Whoever destroys the base in the shortest time wins. Good times.
Anyway the MP surprised me because I solved the 1P game and kinda went "meh". I was expecting drek, and though there are problems the MP has some cool moments. If you happen to be working on a game that has MP elements give it a peek for some inspiration, as well as some lessons in what not to do...
First of all the MP game is much better than the 1P. I can't tell if the character speeds are tweaked or if the FPS is just better, but the game runs much better in MP (is MUCH faster). They also did some smart things like not making you reload automatically if you don't want to. That might sound odd at 1st, but when you consider that many weapons (like the assault rifle) have two fire modes that use two different ammo types, not having to reload the grenade launcher and just going right to the machinegun after firing a round is bliss. Why the heck didn't they put that into the 1P game???
The weapons kind of seem generic but they are pretty cool. I like the alternate fire modes, and really the only weapon that pisses me off is the Sniper Rifle. Their "floating" targeting ala Goldeneye SUCKS for a game of this speed. I had zero luck sniping in MP mode. They tried to balance this out by making a sniper hit to any body part kill instantly, but that just made for dumb gameplay where I had to make sure my toe was behind cover if a sniper was out there.
One last general comment is the strangely missing character classes. I mean COME ON!!! The single player game has cool stuff like the Ninja woman (kind of a female Sam Fisher), the Helgast (the mutant human species in the game), the commander, and the heavy grunt. This is all lined up for classic class-based MP gameplay. The heavy is slow but can use the chaingun, etc. etc. you all know the drill. BUT the game is just a bunch of drones that can use any weapon and all move at the same speed. What a waste. What a MYSTERY why they didn't do the right thing when their whole 1P game is based on class strengths and weaknesses??? Whatever.
I didn't play deathmatch, but I did play Team Deathmatch, a game type called "supply drop", and a gametype called "attack and defend" where one team is defending an objective while the other attacks and tries to destroy it.
Team Deathmatch:
Seems kinda tacked on. The spawns were all over the map so I was never near my teamies. It felt like Deathmatch where I shouldn't shoot 1/2 the players, NOT like a team game. I played this the least.
Supply Drop:
This could be a fun MP gametype except for a CRITICAL flaw. The map has 5 supply crates scattered around. The team that gets all 5 to their base 1st OR has the most when time runs out wins. Now for the flaw: when you get a supply crate to your base your base starts to spawn a new and powerful weapon for your teamies. This sounds cool but unbalances the game in a hurry. I jumped into a game where my team had 1 of the 5 crates and the other team had the other 4. I was ready to rally the troops and make a big comeback when I found how this flaw had gimped us to hell and back. We got the grenade launcher from our crate (which was cool), but the enemy had the heavy machinegun, the rocket launcher, the sniper rifle, and the shotgun. We really had no chance against that firepower. Keep in mind we COULDN'T get those 4 weapons unless we killed a player using them or got a crate back to our base. I'm currently processing in my wee designer brain how to make this cool-sounding feature work in a game without completely fucking the team on the losing side (as it does right now).
Attack and Defend:
I had the most fun with this one. Its pretty much exactly like the game mode in Wolfenstein where you storm the beach. You try to destroy the enemy base as quickly as possible. Once you do so (or time runs out) the teams switch (attackers become defenders and vice versa) and the process starts over. Whoever destroys the base in the shortest time wins. Good times.
Anyway the MP surprised me because I solved the 1P game and kinda went "meh". I was expecting drek, and though there are problems the MP has some cool moments. If you happen to be working on a game that has MP elements give it a peek for some inspiration, as well as some lessons in what not to do...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home