I just found out that a game I worked on back in the Accolade days, Slave Zero, was reviewed by Something Awful. Epic. I really like the screenshots they took as well.
Go, ME! Did I purchase or dub? I can't remember. I think I saw that the for-purchase DVD version is like 4 hours long, but the rental tape is 2 hours. It struck me as a really smart way to rent something, then generate revenue from sales, along the lines of "Buy the Quake Demo, then unlock the rest of the content for more money." It's a little sad that iD can't do that anymore. Or anyone, for that matter.
It might be smart for publishers to put demos in the Blockbuster stores for free, or put half the game in any version that was for Rental. I bet EA could get away with it, and the rest would follow.
Then again, EA has done some of the best singleplayer replay enticements I've seen, so maybe they don't need to.
By the way, I think faulty QA/Test problems like that are one of the primary reasons console sales took off so rapidly, even though PC were at their peak for game heat. PC's were the primary platform at that time, but games were shipping with really inexcusable problems, and Patches were still considered (somewhat reasonably) as unacceptable. Why not ship with the thing working properly? I still wonder about this logic...
4 Comments:
On that same site: Nao Oikawa from the Horros of Porn section.
Dude I have a copy of that movie. You gave it to me. That rules.
Go, ME! Did I purchase or dub? I can't remember. I think I saw that the for-purchase DVD version is like 4 hours long, but the rental tape is 2 hours. It struck me as a really smart way to rent something, then generate revenue from sales, along the lines of "Buy the Quake Demo, then unlock the rest of the content for more money." It's a little sad that iD can't do that anymore. Or anyone, for that matter.
It might be smart for publishers to put demos in the Blockbuster stores for free, or put half the game in any version that was for Rental. I bet EA could get away with it, and the rest would follow.
Then again, EA has done some of the best singleplayer replay enticements I've seen, so maybe they don't need to.
By the way, I think faulty QA/Test problems like that are one of the primary reasons console sales took off so rapidly, even though PC were at their peak for game heat. PC's were the primary platform at that time, but games were shipping with really inexcusable problems, and Patches were still considered (somewhat reasonably) as unacceptable. Why not ship with the thing working properly? I still wonder about this logic...
Post a Comment
<< Home